Copying a DVD or CD in Ubuntu Linux is very easy. You don't need to download or buy a CD/DVD burning software. Your Ubuntu Linux already has one and it is integrated in your desktop. All you need in addition to Ubuntu is a CD or a DVD writer.
How to copy a CD or DVD in Ubuntu Linux using Brasero
As we said, Copying a DVD or CD in Ubuntu Linux is very easy. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Insert the CD or DVD that you want to copy into the CD/DVD drive. In case you have more than one CD/DVD drive on your computer and only one is a CD/DVD writer, put the CD or DVD disc that you want to copy on the non CD/DVD writer drive and a blank CD or DVD in the CD/DVD writer drive.
- The CD/DVD will be recognized by Ubuntu and a new window will open. Depending on what kind of CD or DVD you want to copy, this window will contain a list of possible actions to perform on the Disc. One of these options will be "Open Brasero Disc Burning". In order to copy the disc, you need to choose this option and press the "OK" button.
- The next window is the "CD/DVD Copy Options" window. Usually you wont need to change anything in this window. You do need to make sure that on the "Select disc to copy" option, the source drive is selected and on the "Select a disc to write to" option the destination drive is selected. In case you have only one drive on the computer, this drive should be selected on both of the options. This next step is optional and you can choose to skip it by pressing the "Copy" button and continue with step 5.
- Pressing the "Properties" button on the destination drive will open a new window with properties for this drive. In this window you can modify the writing speed, enable or disable burnproof, enable disable simulate before burning, choose if the disc will be ejected after burning and choose where the burning program will store the temporary files. If you do have more than one CD/DVD drive on your computer you will be able to choose if to burn the disc directly without saving it to the hard drive first. Usually you won't need to modify these settings in case you do press the "OK" button to get back to the "CD/DVD Copy Options" window. Press the "Copy" button to start copying the disc.
- Pressing on the "Copy" button will start the copy process. A new window with a progress bar will show you the percentage of the process, the estimated remaining time and the estimated drive speed. When the process finishes and you do have more than one CD/DVD drive on your computer then the copied disc is ready.
- In case you have only one drive a new window will open to tell you to replace the disc in the drive with an empty CD or DVD disc. Take out the original disc from the drive and put a blank disc in it. The original disc was saved on your computer hard drive and now it is ready to be copied to the blank disc. After putting a blank disc in the drive, the disc will be recognized and the process will continue. A new window with a progress bar will show you the percentage of the process, the estimated remaining time and the estimated drive speed. When the process finishes the status of the process will be changed to "CD successfully copied". In the end, total time and the average drive speed wil appear. Press the "Close" button and check your new CD/DVD.